4.22.2011

confessions [of a mama]. part.1.


I used to be a rock.  You could throw "Bambi".. "Old Yeller".. or "The Notebook" at me.. and I would barely get a misty eye.  That was then... B.C. (before child)... now I'm living in A.D. (after delivery).  The first time it happened was day seven of my daughter's life.  I thought I would read to her from the book of Ruth (her middle name).  Now my midwife had warned me I may get 'weepy' from all the new emotions.extremes.hormones.lactation.craziness-of-it-all in the first few weeks.... but I was unprepared for this.  The ugly cry.  So, yes, I was reading Ruth, and I got seriously overwhelmed by the kindness of Boaz (the older guy) to Ruth (the uber-committed servant girl)... and started bawling.  Yes, who knew.. I have tear ducts.

It didnt' end there.  Now you just have to throw a sappy commercial at me.  Puppy dog eyes.  A dad holding his daughter high in the air...  and I'm a gonner.  Even Disney is killing me.  I think it's rated 'G' for 'gooey'... since that's what I turn into now, a blubbering mess.  We were watching the old school "Homeward Bound" with our daughter a few months ago... and when they do the big emotional homecoming - I was losing it!  My husband laughed as I had to run in the kitchen and blubber through making dinner - as I squealed "is the golden retriever going to make it??!!!!"

Fast forward to today.  (First confession.. yes I am posting though I said farewell for the weekend).  I decided to go rent something my daughter and I could cuddle up and relax with for the afternoon.  "Bolt" looked fun... and yes, it's freakin' hilarious - Rhino the hamster... great!  But then it happened again - introduce the all too familiar plot of the bond of love between master and pet/ parent and child.... and i was bawling.  The ugly cry again.  It gets real ugly since I am trying to not freak out my daughter... so I'm attempting to look like I'm laughing.... which is just hideous I'm sure (Joker-esque even?).  So there you have it.  I am no longer made of stone.  My daughter must have melted away my stoic heart while she was growing in there...   do other mama's out there relate?  Am i the only nut-case that bawls at Disney now?
 
[bonus points for the locals who can guess where this statement is graffiti ed in town..!]

In the end I would much rather have my heart this way.  Trying to be 'tough' by not showing your emotion is actually the weakness of fearing to show your feelings.  I lived like a rock for quite a while in the past I think... and I would much rather be the puddle of ugly cry that I can be now.. because it feels alive.  Feel more, it's ok.

Red-eyed and content,
Mel :o)

7 comments:

  1. This lives in my kitchen.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameli0rate/5644935580/in/photostream

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow. ... that is really crazy.weird.wild... since i know i took this picture. Hilarious how others have captured it the same way! Wow..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my comments keep getting repeated... sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, silly Blogger comments! You should totally install Disqus.. I LOVE it!

    Oh, and my friend Jen Cole took mine and brought it to me. She's so sweet <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww Mel, I can relate to this SO much. I never found movies sad.. Now I cry at tangled, steward little, despicable me and many other movies Layla loves to watch. And yes i can relate to bolt too, I didnt quite cry though haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!